Batch Upload is used to screen extremely large files of 100,000 records at a time or more, as well as any files that require additional processing, such as an NCOA Append. In order for screenings of this size to run correctly, they actually require a member of our Batch Team to manually work on your file. For this reason, it can take up to 10 business days to process.
Remember, smaller screenings should instead be submitted through Express, which is what most people use.
- Note: You can also use the Batch Upload to securely send non-screening files to WE, such as your Inner Circle list. Because it isn’t a screening, it won’t use any credits!
Prepare Your File:
- Step 1: Review the sample template
- Step 2: Map the fields
- Step 3: Export
- Step 4: Review
Upload for Screening:
- Step 1: Log in
- Step 2: Go to the Screen tab
- Step 3: Create "New Screen"
- Step 4: Go to the Batch Upload page
- Step 5: Confirm contact
- Step 6: Mark data details
- Step 7: Choose your file
- Step 8: Provide any additional instructions
- Step 9: Upload
Prepare Your File
Step 1: Review the sample template.
The sample file (picture and attachment at the end of this guide) will serve as a crucial guide as you prepare your file. In some ways, your list can diverge from that template, but in other areas, it must match those specifications in order for it to process correctly!
- First Name; Last Name; Address Line 1; City; State; and Zip code.
- If you want to import WE data back into your database:
- Constituent/account ID number. Without this, your results will not match up with the account record in your system.
- If you have Raiser's Edge and plan to update this information using We data:
- Address Import ID for NCOA updates.
- Bio Import ID for DOB updates.
- Telephone Import ID for telephone updates.
Should Match the Template:
- Number of columns.
- Column names/headers.
- However, if you supplied a control file then the Field Names can match that instead.
- Sequence of columns: the WE import service can adapt to field order.
- Sequence of rows/records: this doesn’t impact the speed of processing or the order of the returned file.
Step 2: Map the fields.
Use the provided template as a worksheet and, following the above guidelines, map the fields in your database so they match the WE file format. To do this, you may need to adjust your export and re-run it.
If your software program provides a file layout (also known as a “control file”), that makes things slightly easier, so send it in with your upload. If a control file is not sent, however, you must include the column headings in your screening file – and make sure that they match the template!
- The more information you include the better. Providing details such as spouse, date of birth, business affiliation, business address, and even graduation date can improve your results by matching to additional information and perhaps even improving the accuracy of the scores!
- Note: make sure to check out our Screening Best Practices Guide for more details.
Step 3: Export
Export the mapped records into any one of the preferred file formats: (Delimiters: Pipe, TAB, or semicolon) OR Excel.
Remember, make sure you have enough credits left to screen that number of people!
- Note: For more on credits, check out our Usage Limits Guide.
Step 4: Review
Quickly review your file to make sure everything is there and in the proper order.
Upload for Screening
Now that you have put together your file, it’s time to upload it and begin the screening process!
Step 1: Log into your WE account.
Step 2: Click on the Screen tab at the top of the page.
This will automatically take you to a list of the screenings that you have already completed:
- Note: This default view also has buttons that you can use to easily analyze the screening or use it to build a look-alike model. Clicking on the name of the screening will take you to the My Profiles section.
Step 3: Click "New Screen"
This will pull you to the upload page area.
Step 4: Go to the Batch Upload page.
Click the Batch Upload tab on the left; this is where you can send in your screening file.
Step 5: Confirm your contact information.
You must provide your full contact information: Full Name; Phone Number; and E-mail Address. This is required just in case WealthEngine’s technical team needs to contact you with questions about your file.
Step 6: Mark data details.
Here you'll see the different types of optional information that may or may not be included in your input file. Click on the fields that you did include.
- Note: The more information you provide the better results you may get.
Step 7: Choose file.
Once you click Next, you’ll be brought to the Upload File page. Click the Choose File button to open the Browse function and select the file from your computer.
Step 8: Provide any additional instructions.
If you have any additional directions or information you think it is essential for the Batch Team to know, you can type it into the Additional Instructions text box.
Step 9: Click Upload
Once your results are in, they will automatically pop up in your My Profiles section. Your listed contact will receive a notification.
- Note: to learn more about working in My Profiles, check out our My Profiles Section Guide.